Thursday, February 08, 2007

Hugs and kisses

In the last couple of weeks I have been hugged three times: by one of my patients (who has terminal cancer), a relative of a different patient (who will almost certainly die this week) and a friend of another patient (who died last week). All this because they are grateful for the job my colleagues and I are doing. I leave work every day feeling full of energy and keen to squeeze every drop out of my own life. I aspire to be as courageous as the people I look after.
What a fantastic job this is! I had no idea things were going to turn out this way but I am very glad they have. My colleagues appreciate me, my patients appreciate me and I am full of admiration for all of them as they fight their individual battles. At the moment the grass is greener on my side of the fence. Long may it continue.

8 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

So glad that you can feel the love.

Shiny Happy Person said...

What a lovely post. I feel that way a lot of the time. Days like that are the reason you put up with all the shitty stuff. I know the feeling you describe and it's wonderful. Good for you.

JM said...

It's great to feel appreciated. I remember the first time a patient hugged me (during 4th year clinical rotations). It was nice.

Anonymous said...

Very good mate, I sit at a desk all day analysing numbers.

SC

Benedict 16th said...

Just don't get done for sexual harrassment

Yours in Devil's advocacy
Benedict

Anonymous said...

When my dearly loved uncle had to be told some years ago that his awful back pain was due to cancer that was too far gone to treat, the lovely, gentle (male) haematologist sat on his bed, and took uncle's hand and held it while he spoke.

That kind and simple gesture meant more than thousands of words, and is an example that could be followed by many doctors.

mollymcmo said...

love this post :)

i've got a tons of hugs and kisses over the years.

last week i let in some extra visitors to see their friend (a mentally challenged man recovering from surgery), he cried and hugged me after they left saying "thank you"

those are the things that keep me going when i'm ready to quit some days! LOL!

m

Anonymous said...

are you fucking serious, im a houseman in essex and this job sucks, i can't comment on you personally but in my opinino, it is largely only pompous self-righteous shit-eaters like medicine. i am looking to use medicine solely as a source of capital so that i can invest it into something useful like a business, property, political party or the stock market. i am going to quit this bollocks and spend lots of time reading investors chronicle and the economist and try to pull my head out of my own ass and see what's going on in the world outside of medicine. everyone dies, doctors can help delay it a bit, big fucking deal..