Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Job satisfaction AND life satisfaction

Hi. Sorry for the gap in posts. Have undergone some major life re-shuffles (none of which have involved gambling thankfully) and am now settled.
Have changed towns, been promoted (but no pay rise!), changed speciality and moved in with my girlfriend after 2 years of literally travelling all over the world to see her. Add to that my usual affliction with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and you can understand that it has been eventful to say the least. But now everything is calm and more importantly everything is good.
I am now enjoying my job. It's not quite better than not being at work but I do genuinely look forward to going in now every day which is a complete contrast to last year. What a difference a year (and some exams and lots of helpful advice and finally a bit of a gamble) makes.
I have even contemplated stopping the blog as I feel I have lost my creative (albeit negative) drive. But then I thought that perhaps now things are going well I could provide some light-hearted relief to all the negativity surrounding the NHS. Yes, it is still a crap organization in comparison to many others, and yes I probably won't be paid this month due to a Human Resources faux pas, but now that I'm working with genuinely nice people who will let me finish early if I need to drive home for Xmas/see a GP/go to the bank (hey - that sounds remarkably like a normal job at last!) I might be able to offer some hope. So I don't mind working on New Year's Eve this year. You see - if employees are treated well they will respond and respond with a smile on their face.
In terms of the gambling discussed on my previous post, I have spent some time reading and watching poker and decided to put it on the back burner for now. The Venial Sinner is right - I have already spent a few thousand quid handing money over to a faceless organization (the Royal College of Physicians) for a few hours of enjoyment (the bit between getting my results and waking up the next day with a hangover).

It's been just over a year on this blog, and I would like to thank the Lost Doctor for showing me the blogging light. I hope his blog provides as much help to him as this one does for me.
Season's greetings to you all, and hope 2007 is a great year for everyone reading this.

5 comments:

Kate Mc said...

Congrats, and may 2007 bring you more such happiness

Unknown said...

Season's Greetings to you, too, Vegas.

I hope that the run of comparative good fortune continues.

JM said...

Happy New Year!!

Dr. Deb said...

Happy Blogversary!

Dr. Deb said...

PS: I linked you