Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A restless soul

An interesting thing happened this week. I've had some time off. Now that I really enjoy my job, I've been struggling to entertain myself when I'm not doing it. None of my medical friends have been able to join me for a holiday due to interviews/exams/working nights, and my non-medical friends are all tied up with other plans. I have done the travelling-on-my-own thing before, and find it a bit boring. I ventured home and then to London briefly, but am now back home chilling out with a glass of Ribena and listening to some great music. Life is good. Funny how society pressures us into thinking we have to jet off/catch Eurostar/book a hotel every time we have more than a day off work.


(you can print this picture out and colour it in yourself)




Meanwhile the MMC train rumbles on with Colonel Hewitt at the helm. One of the NHS soldiers on the front line recently joined the blogging community again - welcome Layla. She, along with thousands of other doctors, are continuing to deliver outstanding healthcare even in the current climate of uncertainty. Dr Crippen, Remedy UK and many others are providing extra support. It's incredible that doctors are now looking to David Cameron for support! The government is killing itself day by day. They have at least responded to the matter - click here for the DoH statement.

10 comments:

JM said...

I actually think that a quiet time at home is a great way to spend a break.

Kate Mc said...

I'm with you and Angel... There was nothing so great for me after a Christmas season of 70-odd hours of work a week as having a day off to just sit, watch the telly and cross-stitch (yup, I'm an old-fashioned geek...).

So glad the new job is working out for you!

Dr Vegas said...

Thanks guys. I think I'll take that advice. I can't cross-stitch but I CAN watch TV. I think I'll go and get series 5 of '24' and see how my friends at C.T.U. are getting on.

mollymcmo said...

i have 5 days off this week and am loving it at home, i've done nothing constructive expect relax.
there was actually a blizzard with a huge car pile up around here, thought for sure they'd call me in so i didn't answer the phone that day lol!

thanks for visiting my blog!

another medical fiend out there, Love it!

i'm colouring that picture right now!

m

Dr Michelle Tempest said...

Glad to hear you've had a good holiday. Michelle

Calavera said...

Dude, I've just taken a read of some of your entries, got here through MOADD, and I love your blog. You're being added to my sidebar whether you like it or not!

:D

Calavera said...

I was reading through your blog when you posted at mine!

Calavera said...

You did neuro?? That's what I was contemplating changing to!

BUT there are some problems... my uni calls it a 'BSc appeals procedure,' and basically ive got to tell them why the hell I want to change, give them a damn good reason, and then include 'any relevant academic acheivements, prizes or accolades' that will help my case.

I have won absolutely nothing during medical school.

Another problem. People say you only want to do a BSc if you're gonna get a project. APPARENTLY there are not enough projects to go around, so the others get lumbered with data interpretation exercises or dont get a project at all.

And apparently that is BAD for your career. Care to give any advice? I would email you bugging the crap out of you, but I can't find an email address anywhere (you clever person.)

:)

Calavera said...

It did help! You're awesome! Thanks!

The Angry Medic said...

I see Cal's found you. My sympathies *bada-BING*

It's sad that David Cameron was such a letdown in his response. I was actually watching that issue on Webcameron quite closely, and he seems to have been too stupid to realise how much leverage MMC handed him. (Either that or Patsy's money train got to him first and convinced him to do a Blair and vacillate around the issue.)

Oh, and Cal's right - you have a kickass blog. I'm also adding you to my blogroll. Hope you don't mind the heading I've given you :)